Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Good Intentions

Last night I decided it was time for a change. Inspired by several friends who are already doing this, I asked Bill to wake me up in the morning at 6am, at which time I would come downstairs, get myself a cup of coffee (which would already be brewed and waiting having been prepared and set on timer the night before), and sit down to my Bible and prayer journal for some quality spiritual enrichment time. I was very excited about this idea and made it a point before going to bed last night to get the coffee ready, have my Bible and prayer journal out on the kitchen table and even forced myself to go to bed at 11pm so that I would get enough sleep...

Amy had other plans. In addition to many awakenings througout the night, shortly before 5am she decided she was ready to be up. We spent a long time in bed discussing the many objects in the room: Mommy's pillow, Daddy's pillow, painting, stereo, closet door, and on-and-on it went. Bill came out of the bathroom dressed for work at about 5:45, and we all went downstairs. So instead of my peaceful prayer time, I had some mother-daughter time, sitting on the couch with cereal and coffee (water for Amy), watching Mr. Rogers on television. I guess I can't complain. It was still quality time that I will cherish forever!

3 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

Nothing is better than those early quiet mornings when they are little. Don't feel bad about the not sleeping through the night. Nick is 2 and still wakes up around 10:30 to join us in bed. And he still wakes up several times a night. Try to enjoy cuddling her now. I know I find it hard sometimes, wishing I could have more ME time, but soon they won't want to be with us every second.

mom-in-training said...

That's so true! And I do love her cuddling. :)

Melissa said...

Oh, bless you! I always have the best intentions of getting up early to have "ME" time, too...and I HAVE been good at getting up at 6:00a.m. However, all THREE of my kids are often in bed with us by morning! I really don't mind, but our Queen sized bed is beginning to feel the strain. :)

You're right though...even when I get up early and end up having to nurse Meghan back to sleep in the recliner in our bedroom, it's still quality time that I wouldn't trade for anything else in the world!

On a (somewhat) related note, I just read the sweetest book with my kids today. It's called "Let me hold you longer" by Karen Kingsbury (I just added it to the sidebar of my blog). I was so choked up by the end of it that I could barely read out loud! A definite tear-jerker, but such a good reminder to cherish these days for all they're worth!