Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Storing Clothing - Looking for Ideas

Getting organized was a frequently posted topic not that long ago... for many of you. I don't think I blogged on the subject, because sadly my house is still in a state of complete chaos. Okay, it's not that bad. At least, certain rooms aren't that bad. But I still have boxes and stacks of items in my dining room that didn't sell in our last garage sale (yes, I know what you are thinking, Mom - take it to Good Will :) ). The dining room is also where we temporarily put things as we painted most of the downstairs. And of course, the beautiful new look meant that some of the older decor and excess clutter stayed off the walls and out of the rooms once our painting project was completed... and remained in the dining room. So that is no doubt a room that needs a lot of work. And it will happen soon because Amy's birthday is coming up!

But the big one I'm currently thinking about is Amy's room. Amy still sleeps in our bed at night, which I do still enjoy, but she is getting bigger and is becoming quite the bed hog. I'm starting to feel that the time has come to get her into her own bed at night. But before we can do that, we have to clean off her bed! In recent months, as I have gone through and plucked out the clothing items from the boys' and Amy's closets that they can no longer wear, I have simply piled them onto Amy's bed. I figured, why not, she's not using it! Although, the precious little quilt we bought for her bed should have been reason enough... And of course, now I'm faced with having to do something about all those piles. But what?!?

I have considered the nice flat storage containers to beautifully divide clothes up by size and/or season. Then they would simply be stacked and stored in the kids' closets or under their beds. But when Bill and I went and priced the containers we just couldn't bring ourselves to spend the money. So I am wondering... Does anyone out there have a good storage solution for outgrown clothing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?!? I'm really trying to avoid stuffing their clothes into trash bags because they won't store well in closets; the attic won't work either because in the Texas heat and humidity, they'd never survive up there! Perhaps someone knows of a cheaper place to buy storage containers??? We've priced them at Target and Wal-mart...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

1 comment:

Crafty Mom said...

I have always bought the plastic containers when they are on sale at Walmart or Target. I labeled each box with the size and season, and then we stored them in the attic. The clothes when we moved were in great condition still, but the labels became somewhat faded. I think I only used a regular marker not permanent.

I think you just have to eat the cost unfortunately. Also I highly advise going back through the clothes and deciding which ones you really want to hang on to. I find everytime I go back through the kids baby stuff, there is more I am willing to part with. Fewer clothes, fewer containers.