Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Walk Thru the Old Testament

Today Bill and I did a Walk Thru the Old Testament Seminar at our church. It was a long, but amazing day. The first session of the seminar was given during the normal worship service, and then those who wanted to participate in the full seminar stayed for the remainder of the day, taking lunch and snack breaks throughout the day. I am so grateful to my wonderful parents who so lovingly looked after the kids while we participated in the seminar. There was childcare available at our church, but I can't even imagine how Amy would have handled such a long day!

We were literally at church the entire day, and I can honestly say it was an incredible experience. The speaker was fantastic and I feel liked I learned so much about the Old Testament in that relatively short amount of time. I've never been good about reading the Old Testament because everytime I start to read it, I get lost in all of the detail and history. This seminar did a great job of breaking it down into key points and providing a means to rememember everything. I tend to be very quiet and perhaps a bit uncomfortable when in large gatherings of people. But this seminar has you standing up and really participating - as in literally performing hand motions and speaking key terms out loud - throughout the session. You even get into smaller groups to practice what you've learned several times. And though my shyness caused me some distress during this whole process, I actually had fun and learned so much. I can honestly say that I don't remember all of the 77 pieces of information we covered today, but I certainly know a lot more than when I walked into church this morning.

If you ever hear about this being given at a church near you, I highly recommend it!

No comments: