Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Blessings!

Happy Easter!!!

We have had a wonderful Easter weekend. On Good Friday, we shortened our school work to reading and math only. Then we were able to focus our attention on Jesus' journey to the cross. I had a lot of preparation to do for our family's Saturday Easter picnic, so while I was in the kitchen cooking the kids ate their lunch in the den and watched The Animated Passion. This was a wonderfully done depiction of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection, especially in how well it suited even younger viewers. Alex and Nathan were both full of good questions throughout the video. After it ended they sat at the kitchen table and "played" their favorite "game", as they call it. They just love the Resurrection Eggs! I highly recommend them as a way of telling the Easter story. The kids went through it together several times before running off to play as I continued my cooking and baking. Bill went and got pizza for dinner and we had a picnic in the den while we watched the classics, The Easter Bunny is Coming to Town and It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown. Then when dinner was finished, the kids dyed Easter eggs, which is always a fun activity. I then gave the boys haircuts before getting everyone ready for bed and reading a few Easter books.

Saturday we had our annual Easter picnic, although our usual plans changed somewhat. Since my mom has been sick, instead of heading out of town for a larger family gathering, my parents along with my brother and sister and their families had our own picnic at a nearby park. It was crowded, but we had a great spot close to the playground equipment, close to the restrooms, and close to the big dirt mound. The kids had so much fun playing in that huge pile of dirt. I think they could have spent forever there! There were also confetti eggs, so we were all good and messy by the time our picnic fun was over. Because of all the crowds at the park, we chose to do our big Easter egg hunt back at my parents' house. The kids had a great time with it. We did things a little different this year since we had such a wide span of ages participating. Each of the kids had to find a particular color of egg (and they all had the same amount hidden). I think that was even more fun - and more challenging - than just looking for random eggs. The kids seemed to enjoy it more that way, too, so we'll probably make that our new tradition.

So here we are today, Easter Sunday. The kids woke excitedly to their filled Easter baskets and spent as much time playing with their new toys as we could allow them before going to church for the Easter service. And since today is also my birthday, we went out for lunch with my parents so I could have a day with no cooking. That's my kind of birthday! And to make things even better, we are all just staying home today to relax and enjoy a slow day for a change. I couldn't ask for anything more!

I pray that you are all having a blessed Easter!

1 Peter 1:3 - Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead...

Dyeing Easter Eggs:

Easter Picnic At the Park:



I think they enjoyed the clean up almost as much as making the mess!!!
Easter Egg Hunt:
Easter Morning:


2 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

So fantastic to hear of your wonderful weekend! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the photos of Amy!!!!!! Happy Birthday dear friend!

Crafty Mom said...

How did you get such fabulous pictures?? The kids look wonderful, and yes, Amy is a doll!!

And happy birthday a day late.