Monday, January 11, 2010

The UT Quilt

As many of you know, I took on a large quilting project the end of this past year. It started out as a plan to make a special UT lap quilt for my nephew, who attends the University of Texas at Austin. But after some persuasion from my mom, I decided to make it a queen-sized quilt for his bed at college. I've never ever made a quilt so big. And being the procrastinator that I am, I spent much of my holidays quilting. I managed to complete it just 2 days before Christmas Eve, which is when we celebrate with my parents, my grandmother and my brother's and sister's families.

I spent much time worrying over the quilt, unsure of how to arrange the blocks, what batting and thread to use, and how to quilt it. In the end, I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I went with a simple block arrangment with outline quilting, used that new bamboo batting (love it!) and chose a variegated thread called "sticks and stones". Now Bill wants me to make a large quilt for our room... But I think for my sanity, I should tackle a few small projects before I take on another big one!




1 comment:

Mom said...

And I might say, you did a fantastic job. The quilt is beautiful.