Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Another Curriculum Change

Today I put in an order for Math-U-See. I have struggled with this decision for awhile now. I purchased the Horizons Kindergarten math workbooks at the homeschool conference in early summer, but questioned then if Math-U-See would be better. Then at another conference late summer I questioned again whether I should instead use Math-U-See, and once again I chose to stick with Horizons. And up until recently, I was loving Horizons. It really is a great program, but it's also a fast-paced more advanced math curriculum. Alex did really well at the beginning, but over time I have found him struggling with more and more of the material, and yet as we move along they continue to build on what the child is supposedly learning. And no matter how many ways I try to explain some of the more difficult concepts to him, he just doesn't get it. So hopefully, Math-U-See, with it's hands-on approach, will clear things up for him. I can't wait until it arrives and we can get started!

3 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

Good for you. First rule of homeschooling, don't be afraid to admit something isn't working. And don't feel obligated to finish up workbooks for the sake of not wasting money.

I am still on the fence with Horizons. We use it, but definately at a much slower pace, and I supplement with other stuff.

I've heard nothing but good things about Math U See.

Mom of boys said...

I have been debating using Math U See with Brennan - let me know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

welcome to the Math-U-See family :-)

and have fun teaching math