Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Teaching a Child to Read

As a new home schooler this year, I just assumed that the Explode the Code phonics currriculum would be enough to teach Alex how to read. I do think it helps tremendously with the process, but it is meant to be more of a supplement. And since we started with the "Before the Code" series, we especially needed some extra help.

A fellow home schooler spoke of how much they love using 100 Easy Lessons. I made a mental note of this, and when I saw that someone had a used copy for sale at only $5, I jumped on it. We started the reading program early January and I am absolutely loving it. Both boys participate and really like it, too. Alex has reached a point where he can sound out simple words, and for some he simply sees the word and immediately says it. He enjoys trying to read anything and everything. We are only on Lesson 26 of the 100 lessons so he is a tad limited by what he can read, but I am so impressed with this reading program. Nathan is really picking up on it, too! I may need to work extra with him because he is falling behind Alex, but he is still learning a great deal.

I was worried that teaching reading was going to be one of my biggest and most pain-staking challenges regarding home schooling. But what a joy it is to teach a child to read!!!

3 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

Way to go Mom and Alex!!! It is a joy! And then to see them read read read - what could be better?

Crafty Mom said...

Yay for you. And Alex too. It can be fairly tricky to teach a child to read, and at times frustrating. But when you see them start to pick up books on their own, read signs, boxes, and everything around them, it is SO WORTH EVERY MOMENT!

I highly recommend the BOB books, which you can borrow from the library usually, and once we move, I have tons of early reader books that make it even more rewarding for them.

Susan Silver Dill said...

We are using 100 EZ Lessons for both Seth and Micah. I have tried at least SIX different phonics curriculums, and we came back to 100 EZ after all that. So happy Alex is doing so well!