Sunday, May 10, 2009

Birthdays... and Lots of Them!

It amazes me how birthdays always seem to occur in clumps instead of being spread throughout the year. November is of course a busy birthday time for us, but so is May.

Yesterday was Bill's birthday, at which time he turned... 29 years old (hee-hee). I'll let him stay 29 with me; I decided years ago that would be my permanent age. I can do that, right? :) We spent most of Bill's birthday at baseball games and then doing Alex's party. Family stayed after Alex's party and we celebrated both Bill and my sister's birthdays. It was such a full, wonderful day spent with our friends and family. I was worried that since we were having Alex's party on Bill's birthday, the day wouldn't be as special for Bill. But in the end, he said he had a great day and it was one of his best birthdays. Of course, bringing joy to your children on their birthday will always result in your own happiness. But it really was a great day! Happy Birthday, Sweetheart!!!

The theme of Alex's party was Star Wars, which was perfect for my Star Wars fanatic husband as well. I made Alex a Millenium Falcon cake and as one of the games, Bill made Star Wars character targets for the kids to shoot at with a "laser gun" (Nerf dart gun, actually). We had Darth Vader masks and special Yoda Soda (green punch) to drink. And of course we had the Star Wars soundtrack playing in the background. Who wouldn't love a Star Wars themed party? :) We also rented one of those moonwalks for the party and were able to keep it through this morning. This enabled them to play on it during the cooler evening and early morning hours. What a blast they had with that! And as part of a birthday request from Alex, his cousins got to spend the night, really making the perfect ending to the perfect day.

Jedi knight target practice
Alex with his cake

Rocket moonwalk in our driveway

Not sure who had more fun in this thing... Bill or the kids?

Like father, like son

Oh, and I also made a second birthday cake for last night's birthday celebration. This cake was especially for my sister Lisa. When she was a young girl, she was having a Star Wars themed birthday party and asked my mom for a Princess Leia cake. But feeling apprehensive about making that particular cake (how do you make those hair buns, or her facial features?), my mom chose to make her a Darth Vader cake instead. Lisa was somewhat disappointed by her Vader cake, even though my mom did a wonderful job on it. So, as had been requested all those many years ago and fitting with the theme of our party, Lisa finally got her Princess Leia cake... or Bob the Builder in drag, as my brother put it. ;) We had a lot of laughs over that cake!

Lisa and her Bob the Buil... I mean, her Princess Leia cake

Today, Alex's actual birthday, we all went to my sister's to swim. The kids had a blast playing in the pool and we all overindulged on hot dogs, chips, dips, fruit, and a whole lot of dessert! But what a fun day it was. Alex couldn't have asked for a better birthday. And I couldn't have asked for a better Mother's Day. Happy Birthday, Alex!!!




Playing in the pool



Amy cuddling with her cousin Cody

The silly birthday boy

No comments: