Monday, May 18, 2009

Wanted: A GOOD Sunscreen

I am so frustrated by sunscreen. Obviously, I have to put it on my children because I don't want them to burn. But why does it have to ruin their clothes in the process???

On Saturday we were out in the sun almost the entire day. So of course, we doused the kids in sunscreen several times throughout the day. It wasn't until later that night AFTER I'd washed their clothes that it became clear the collar and sleeves of Amy and Nathan's shirts were yellow - very yellow. I soaked them in Oxy clean overnight and tried washing them again the next day, but the yellow remained. This has happened before, but with a different sunscreen. Upon reading the warnings on the sunscreen bottle, there is mention that the product could stain some fabrics. But who reads those things?!? And I certainly wouldn't expect sunscreen to discolor clothing. So now I have a $12 bottle of barely used sunscreen that I might as well throw in the trash; yesterday I bought a new $12 bottle of a different brand of sunscreen that does not say anything about staining clothing. But even so, I'm still afraid to use it.

FYI: Here are the sunscreens that have discolored my kids' clothes (both have the same fabric-staining disclaimer):




USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!



5 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

That is strange. I was going to recommend the Banana Boat one. I love their products in general for the lack of oiliness. They don't make me feel icky. I never noticed any change in coloring on my kids, but it may be that they don't often have on white when I coat them.

Anonymous said...

We never had that problem with Hawain Tropic and I kept the kids slathered in it.

Anonymous said...

We have always used the Coppertone Water Babies (the smell brings back wonderful memories!) I know I have touched clothes with it many times and have never seen any discoloration on clothing.
Kayse

Катя said...

I've had the same problem with my own clothes when using the Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer.

Anonymous said...

I find that whatever sunscreen I use ends up discoloring my clothing. Sweat mixes with the sunscreen and drips onto my clothes, causing the dye to fade in spots. It's very frustrating. I won't stop wearing sunscreen, because I figure I can always replace clothing, but I can't buy new skin. But it's expensive to have to replace all my shirts each summer! Like you, I don't have any answers. And I've never seen warning labels about discoloration on the products I've used.