Monday, September 11, 2006

First Day of School

Today we finally began our preschool lessons at home. Since we are already a third of the way into September, I decided I'd procrastinated long enough. I think my delay to start teaching was out of my fear for how Alex and especially Nathan would do during lessons with me teaching. I just didn't feel confident that they would sit and listen. But today my fears were washed away and my boys showed me that they can sit still long enough to be taught, and they even did it with enthusiasm!

We are following a Catholic preschool program called Little Saints that was recommended to me by one of my dearest friends. I ordered it a long time ago and it has sat on a shelf, awaiting the day I'd feel ready to homeschool. I recently took the time to thoroughly read it, and now I am so excited about working with my children as we go through this wonderful program together. I am really pleased with the curriculum and I think we'll all have a lot of fun with it.

Today we discussed how God loves us and we belong to Him. We talked about how God made each of us special. The kids had fun looking into a mirror to see how God made each of them special. We also played a few learning games, sang songs, read books and painted. The whole lesson only took a little over an hour to complete and the kids had so much fun. We are all looking forward to our next lesson!

3 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

YAY! I am so glad that you have decided to take the leap into homeschooling. I feel like you are echoing my thoughts. I still wake up with dread that I will not be a good enough teacher for Katie, and that she won't want to listen and learn, but I am learning to accept that I am the best teacher I know how to be, and she astounds me each day with how much she enjoys learning! Who knew?
Kris

Celeste Creates said...

Way to go girl - I am so proud of you! I knew they would love it!

Mom of boys said...

Ditto! I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I still have a rough day from time to time and wonder if I am good enough to homeschool the boys, but it doesn't happen often. I just have to remember that most days do go smoothly and overall the kids are flourishing!