Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School

Today we had our first day of school, and though it was a slower day where much of the material was review, I'd say it was a very successful first day back.

In preparation for "back to school", we had a movie night last night and let the boys watch Star Wars for the first time (Amy was in our room watching Noggin'). We popped popcorn and Bill watched with them so he could fast forward through any scenes we felt might still be a little inappropriate. And as expected, they loved the movie!



For the most part, I just listened to their excitement as I worked to clean out and set up the sunroom as our new home-school room. After the kids went to bed - a challenging task now that they were pumped up and having light saber battles - I set out their new backpacks and school supplies. It was almost 1am before I finally got to bed, and even later before I could fall asleep... A little anxious about the first day, I guess.



The morning went well. I got up at 6:15am and made coffee and finished preparing before the kiddos got up. Once they were all awake, I served them a nutritious and I'm sure brain enhancing meal of powdered sugar and chocolate donuts. Then we got started...




We're trying out My Father's World (MFW) this year. I'm using the First Grade level for Alex. Nathan will still learn from the Bible, science and art lessons included. To supplement the Reading lessons we're still using the Explode the Code books. We're also using Math-U-See and I have Nathan starting the Primer (Kindergarten level). He did fantastic with the first lesson today. Alex is now in the Alpha book (1st Grade level) and did great today, too. On Mondays we're doing history, so today we read about Davy Crockett and colored pictures of the Alamo. Tomorrow instead of history, we'll do poetry and music appreciation. Wednesday is science and Thursday is art. Fridays we have co-op, but we'll do the Science Exploration Day from MFW in the afternoons. Exploration Day is really for getting outside and experiencing the world around us, something we like to do anyway. There is also a science experiment to be done each Friday. I think the kids will really like that!

All we have left to do today is our read-aloud, which we'll do during lunch. I'm going to start reading Mr. Popper's Penguins to them. I feel certain they'll like it.

Right now their all taking a break. Alex is at the craft table drawing characters from Star Wars... naturally. :)

Today's success has me even more anxious to do it again tomorrow. I'm looking forward to another fun year of teaching and learning with my children!

2 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

I am so happy for you. I am so glad things went smoothly. You can do it. You have what it takes to educate your children! Much love to. Can't wait to hear more about how the week progresses!

Crafty Mom said...

Congratulations!! One down many more to go. We started Mr. Popper's Penguins Sunday, and are through chapter 4 right now. Katie and I keep laughing. It is really a funny book.