Saturday, March 31, 2007

Fun Indoors

Today was the much anticipated Spring carnival at Alex's school. Alex and Nathan have both been looking forward to it, and even though Bill was going to be gone, I planned to brave it alone with all three kids. We woke this morning to a terrible thunderstorm with lots and lots of rain. It rained. And rained. And rained. I wasn't sure it was ever going to stop! I just knew the carnival was going to be canceled. But amazingly when I called the school, they informed me that it was still on - rain or shine. Everything was just being moved inside. I was so thankful I wasn't going to have to disappoint the kids afterall.

What a great time they had. It was very crowded and even though I know the carnival administrators had no other choice, the moonwalks and other inflatables were really too large for that small gymnasium. I could barely get around with Amy in her stroller and the lines for the various "rides" crossed paths and were difficult to distinguish. Obviously, this did not even bother the kids, though they may have been slightly annoyed by me constantly telling them to stay in line. They also had some difficulty understanding that after going on it once, they then had to return to the back of the line before they could go again (a little spoiled by the inflatables at recent birthday parties). The little games were fun, too, and even Amy got to participate in a few.

I had hoped to only stay a couple hours and then we were going to attempt to make it to our church for a big Easter egg hunt (with moonwalks and games, too). But we ended up staying almost to the end of the school carnival and completely missed the one at our church. Though a little disappointed, I think we were all too worn out anyway!

After arriving home, we cut out and baked Easter cookies, then decorated them. And of course, we followed up the activity by eating one of our beautifully decorated cookies and finishing off our leftover icing and decorations. Mmm... Amy has already figured out what the yummiest part of an iced cookie is... She licked that icing off in no time and was asking for more! She never did eat the cookie.

To complete our fun-filled day, I discovered that Alex has a fever. So now we are spending our evening relaxing and planning a Palm Sunday resting at home!

No comments: