Monday, March 12, 2007

Planting A Garden

A long time ago, Bill and I attempted to grow cherry tomatoes. Between the bugs and the birds, it was a disaster. We gave up gardening after that. The success of friends in past years, however, has had us itching to try again. Bill started out planting a satsuma orange tree last year, and it actually produced 3 wonderful oranges. So with the success of Bill's orange tree and the return of spring like weather, we made the decision to try our hand at gardening again. This past Saturday we spent our morning perusing Lowe's for all the right ingredients to make a garden, and then spent the entire afternoon building it. It was a long day, not to mention the warmest we'd had in awhile! But we were so happy with the outcome of our labor. We grilled out hamburgers for dinner and ate out on our deck, then went in to eat pudding and finish a movie we'd started Friday night. Bath and bedtime was quick to follow. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect family day!

Fruits and vegetables for our garden

Assortment of herbs for my herb garden

Marking the spot

Everyone working together...

to produce our lovely gardens!

So happy that Spring is arriving!!!

Our geranium resident who has returned to her nest from her fall/winter vacation

Flowers in bloom

Sadly, our beautiful days of clear blue skies have temporarily ended. Overnight storms brought gray skies and lots and lots of rain. Our lovely garden is now a pool of water. We're not sure what that means for our seeds, but I guess only time will tell. Hopefully the garden box will drain quickly and our newly planted garden will flourish. Either way, we're happy with our efforts and we'll only keep trying!

4 comments:

Crafty Mom said...

I love your pictures!!

We are planning our Spring garden too. I love seeing what you guys did and how much the kids enjoyed helping.

When I am sure the weather will stay warm, we too will be making our flower and vegetable garden.

Mom of boys said...

poDon't worry about past troubles! I have yet to have a really great garden, but each year seems to gi just a little bit better. I learn something new each year and I figure that if you give me another twenty, I am going to have some real, plentiful, homegrown summer produce!

Mom of boys said...

Ahhh! Forget about those extra letters that ended up there! I am typing with a sleeping little guy on my lap!

Melissa said...

How wonderful! I LOVE your photos and your garden looks great! We're novices, too, so I'm not sure what to think about the rain you all had...just another learning experience, I suppose! Hope all goes well! We finished up our garden over the weekend, too. :)