Sunday, July 22, 2007

Finished

Today I finished the last Harry Potter book. Don't worry - I won't post any spoilers! I read all night Friday night, as much as I could fit in with the garage sale on Saturday, Saturday night until 11:30pm, Sunday morning for an hour before church, for the hour long drive to my brother's house after church, and then, and this is what I'm most ashamed of, during lunch and while "watching" the kids, as the rest of my family socialized. Thankfully, by the time we'd reached my brother's house, where we'd gone to celebrate my dad's birthday, I had only a small amount left to read before completing the book. By that point, there was no way I could stop myself from reading it through to the end. So I finished it quickly and was able to spend the rest of the day making up for my rudeness to my family. Thankfully, my brother and sister-in-law are also big Harry Potter fans and are also currently reading the book... they were extremely understanding. The rest of my family just laughed at me. ;)

I've described the book only as "different" to my disappointed husband, who wants more explanation, though at the same time expects me to not give anything away. :) So, to all of you who are still waiting to read this final book, I say to you - it is different in some aspects (can't say why), but great. Typical J.K. Rowling book. I don't think you will be disappointed!

I was also asked my opinion of the Order of the Phoenix movie - awesome. In my humble opinion, it was the best so far!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! You're QUICK! Thank you SOOOO much, though, for not revealing anything. I want to be totally surprised!

mom-in-training said...

Oh, I wouldn't even think of it! :) I actually happened across a couple of possible spoilers before the release of the book and was devastated. Thankfully, I discovered what I'd read were fake spoilers and was happily surprised by the true story. I won't be talking any details on my blog, and certainly not to anyone whom I know has not read the book. But I must admit, I'm dying to discuss it with someone - I'm really encouraging my husband to get busy reading. :)

Mom of boys said...

I also finished it last night (actually this morning) at 2 AM! I was very satisfied with it! I also am unapologetic about reading these books as they are a great fictional read. The biggest argument that I can see people having against them is moral relativism, but....well I don't want to give anything away, so let me just say that I think that argument no longer holds water after the way that this last book was written. Would I let my 8 year old read it - probably not, it actually gets a bit too deep for a younger child. A teenager? Most defintely, with some discussion to see what they are processing out of it. It could lead to some excellent lessons about morality!

We will have to get together to talk about this! I am so silly sometimes...