Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Candy Corn Alternative

I am looking for a really yummy recipe for chocolate chip pumpkin cookies... Anyone have one? I usually rely on allrecipes.com for delicious recipes, but I've been having difficulty searching for recipes on that site recently. So I'm turning to all of you out there. I LOVE recipes calling for pumpkin. Celeste has already provided my favorite - her pumpkin bread is the best ever! But I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cookies - you name it, I love it! Recipes with pumpkin are part of why I love this season so much (not that I haven't baked pumpkin bread in the middle of summer before). I noticed on Melissa's blog site she had done some baking one day and she had a picture of cookies in a glass pumpkin jar. I have that same jar. I use it for candy corn.



Mmmmm... Candy corn. Anyone who knows me well, knows I have a dangerous obsession for candy corn. I can down a bag in no time. I always start out the Fall with my pumpkin jar full of yummy candy corn. In about a week or two, I'm refilling my special little pumpkin jar with more yummy candy corn. A week later, I'm adding just one more bag - this one's going to last, I say. By the end of October, I have boycotted candy corn. I'm actually already to that point, but this year I have little ones who also love candy corn. They don't eat it like I do, though, because I can monitor how much they consume. After seeing Melissa's jar of cookies, however, I decided to use mine for a similar purpose. Instead of filling it with my favorite candy corn, where I am tempted at every glance into my kitchen, I plan on making some pumpkin cookies and putting them in the jar instead. I love cookies, but my will power is much stronger when it comes to them. I can eat just one cookie after dinner and stop there. I wish I could say the same for the candy corn! So now the candy corn will stay in a ziploc bag in the pantry... or maybe a cabinet I rarely get into. Hopefully, out of sight - out of mind, and yet still available for the kids.

Okay, so back to the cookies. Anyone out there have a good recipe they can share?

7 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

I looked through everything I have - no recipe! But go to cooks.com and search "pumpkin chocolate chip cookies". There are lots!

Celeste Creates said...

Oh, my goodness, Robin. You are going to die!!!!!!!!!!

Go to http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/results.aspx?keyword=pumpkin

You will be dead - I guarantee - and I am going to gain back everything I lost in Weight Watchers. :) Watch out Kroger! There's gonna be a run on pumpkin!

mom-in-training said...

Oh, my. I've died and gone to pumpkin heaven! Thanks, Celeste!!!

Renee said...

My little boy loves Candy Corn and can’t wait until his birthday each year, because he always asks my mom to buy him a bag for his birthday. This year he can’t have Candy Corn, because we finely found out what has been causing him to break out in HIVES for the past 4 years. He is allergic to RED DYE.

So this year my little boy is singing a song he has made up: "I love Candy Corn, but I can't eat it, because it has Dye Red......"

It broke his heart when he found out Candy Corn has Red Dye.

So No One can bring themselves to eat any candy corn in our family, even his maw-maw.


Thanks Celeste for the website on Pumpkin. I loved it.

mom-in-training said...

Renee,

That is so sad about your little boy not being able to have candy corn - how disappointed he must be! But it sounds like he is taking it like a trooper. I should be as strong!

Melissa said...

Here is a recipe that I use ALL THE TIME for chocolate chip pumpkin cookies...in fact we're going to be baking some this week to share with our neighbors! I can't remember where I first got this recipe, I think it may have been from my aunt. They're one of my favorite things about fall!

Beat together 1/2 c. butter Crisco and 3/4 c. brown sugar. Then add 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, and 1 c. canned pumpkin; beat well.

Mix together 2 c. flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until well blended, then mix in 1 c. chocolate chips (I always add a little extra!)

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.

If you try them, I hope you like them as much as we do! How cool that you have the same cookie jar!

Anonymous said...

If you want a cute idea for candy corn, try the turkey cupcakes found at www.pillsburybaking.com/recipe.asp?recipeid=16505.

They are really adorable, and I myself have 3 candy corn addicts.

Nicholas calls them bean beans (as in jelly beans)