Thursday, November 09, 2006

Confessions of a Spoiled Housewife

I have to make a confession. I think I am the world's worst wife. I know that many women are blessed with husbands who go to work each day and earn a living while they stay home and faithfully take care of home and family. I am one of those women. At least, I am blessed with a husband who selflessly goes to work each day so that I might stay home. But I am selfish and do not appreciate my role the way I should. I am selfish when it comes to wanting time with my husband. I expect him to work as few hours as possible and to travel as little as possible. I want him home for every holiday and to be able to take off when I want him to. I want him to be able to stay home on his children's birthdays so that we might be able to spend the day as a family and celebrate. But all these expectations are too much; they come from a selfish, greedy heart. I know that God wants me to "bring him good, not harm, all the days of my life" and when I do not respond cheerfully to him, then I am failing in that assignment.

I was filled with disappointed today when Bill told me that he'd have to work the week of Thanksgiving; he was originally going to take off that whole week. To make things worse, he'll be working a late shift and will have to work on Nathan's birthday. My response to this news was not good. I was upset and let him know it. But when I got off the phone and had time to think about my actions, I realized the terrible way I'd responded. "When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." Proverbs 10:19. Sin was ever present in my rash response to my husband's news. I am embarrassed and so disappointed in myself. My husband is the dearest man and is always so considerate of his family's needs - my needs. It is not his choice to work the week of Thanksgiving; it is his job and he is doing it out of love for us. May the Lord continue to show me my shortcomings so that I may be a better wife, mother, and Christian.

3 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

You are a beautiful loving wife and mother - I know it for a fact! I am a witness. God is always there to help us when we fall.

I love you!

Mom of boys said...

You definitely are not the world's worst! I have mastered overreacting, and unfortunately my husband ends up taking the brunt of it. It's understandable that you were disappointed - it is easy to say what we don't truly mean when we are disappointed. We can only apologize and try to catch ourselves the next time!

I think that you are an awesome wife and mother!!!

mom-in-training said...

Thank you for your reponses and kind words. I think each day is a challenge to try and set good examples for our children and be the Proverbs wife. And it's very difficult to maintain self-confidence as I do it. I need and appreciate the support of good friends - thank you!!!