Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween

The much anticipated day finally arrived. Alex and Nathan had patiently waited to wear their costumes for well over a month now. I'd ordered them and the boys were so excited when they saw their costumes. I explained that they couldn't wear them until Halloween. I was surprised by how easily they accepted this. Amy was supposed to be Pebbles from the Flintstones; I bought the fabric to make her costume and had even made a little bone for her to wear in her hair. But my sewing experience is limited and as Halloween approached, I did not have the confidence to try and make her costume. I just knew her costume wouldn't turn out and no one would ever figure out who she was supposed to be. So, I lazily went out and bought her a costume. I say "lazily", but after the many Walmarts and Targets visited in search for a costume, I don't know if that is quite the right word for it. But in the end, the costume we found was perfect.

After a nutritious hot dog dinner, we quickly helped the kids get into their costumes: Alex as Batman, Nathan as Scooby Doo (the settlement since I couldn't find the "white puppy" costume he wanted) and Amy as Minnie Mouse. We then trick-or-treated at several houses on our street before heading over to their granny and paw-paw's neighborhood for more trick-or-treating.

Alex seemed to enjoy seeing all the other trick-or-treaters' costumes the best. He especially liked the "bad guy" costumes, which were basically anything out of the ordinary. He'd do a few fancy fight maneuvers as we'd walk by them and then he'd happily exclaim that he got the bad guys. Nathan had fun, but he was a little bit more timid; he didn't really like the houses with lots of scary decorations. Amy was fascinated by it all. We'd stand her up by her brothers when they rang the door bell and she just watched intently at the whole process. Occasionally, she was handed a piece of candy and she'd just hold it happily. After visiting many houses and obtaining lots of candy, we went back to Granny and Paw-Paw's and surveyed the loot. I think they made out pretty well. We let them eat way more candy than we probably should have, but that's all part of the fun. Then after some playtime with the grandparents, we took them home and put them to bed. As was inevitable, they woke a little grumpy this morning. But I'm glad they had such a fun Halloween experience. They've been wearing their costumes around this morning and are already asking when they get to go trick-or-treating again!

3 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

Love the photos. Glad they finally got on there! I am so lucky that I actually got to see those cuties in person. :)

Melissa said...

Your little trick-or-treaters are so adorable! Sounds like you all had a really great time!

Anonymous said...

Amy looks adorable as Minnie and Scooby and Batman are pretty darn cute too. You are such a great mom! I wouldn't even contemplate making a Halloween costume. I've seen your quilting skills though and you could have done it!