Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Thanksgiving Recipe Swap


If there is one thing that comes to mind when I think of Thanksgiving it is good food! Lots and lots of delicious, high calorie, high fat content food. And oh, how I love it! :) My mom always makes lots and lots of delicious recipes for Thanksgiving dinner. By the time you get a small sample of each item, you have completely filled your plate (sometimes you still don't have room for everything). And of course, no matter how stuffed you are after you've polished off that last bite of candied sweet potatoes or last remnant of warm yeast roll, you can still make room for a slice of pumpkin pie (or chocolate, apple, cherry or pecan - my mom always has a variety!). Thanksgiving dinner is something I look forward to every year because it is the one time a year I allow myself to over-indulge; it is also the only time we cook so many rich recipes!

I thought it would be fun if we shared one of our favorite recipes from our own traditional Thanksgiving menu. I've debated on what item to share, because though I love every menu item from my family's traditional meal, I wanted to offer a recipe that is a bit more unique to our meal (not the green bean casserole that every one serves). I finally decided on a simple recipe that my mom has made for both Thanksgiving and Christmas for as long as I can remember. It's possible you have all made this before as it isn't anything that special or out of the ordinary. But it is one of my all time favorites and a must at our Thanksgiving dinner. So here it is:

Pistachio Salad

Mix together 1 small box of instant pistachio pudding mix, 1 16-oz. can of crushed pineapple, 1 9-oz cool whip, 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans and 1 cup marshmallows. Spread into a serving dish, then decorate top with halved marachino cherries (lovely for Christmas). Put in refrigerator until serving time. So delicious!!!

If you want to share, please feel free to post your recipe in a comment to my post, or you can post it to your own blog. I just thought this would be a fun way to acquire new favorite recipes - and maybe add a little variation to our own traditional Thanksgiving menus!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

What a great idea...I love it!

Your recipe sounds delicious, I'll definitely have to try it. I'm going to have to give this some thought and see what I can come up with!

Celeste Creates said...

Here's my contribution. It is a long time favorite in my family. I could eat buckets of it. In fact I think I will next Thursday. Perhaps I'll ask my mom to make me my own bucket full.

Baked Squash Casserole

3.5 - 4 lbs. yellow squash
2 eggs
1/4 cup onion, minced
4 Tbsp. Margarine
8-10 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 pkg. Club crackers (reserve 2)
1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
salt to taste

Cut squash into chunks and boil until tender. Drain and return to the pot - mash thouroughly and season to taste. Saute onion in margarine and add to squash, along with beaten eggs and cheese. Finally, crush crackers into squash and mix well. Pour into large greased casserole and top with last two crushed crackers. Bake at 35o for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.

YUM!!!

Celeste Creates said...

Hey Robin! Is that what your Thanksgiving table is going to look like???? hee hee

Melissa said...

Okay, I've thought and thought about what I could share for a Thanksgiving recipe.

First a little background: we are big fans of Food Network, and we especially love Rachel Ray! Three years ago, just to try something a little different, we prepared our entire Thanksgiving dinner using her holiday menu. Her Apple and Onion Stuffin' Muffins were a fast favorite, and we've made them every year since then!

Here's the link to her recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_29101,00.html?rsrc=search

Mom of boys said...

Where to begin? We have favorites from family on all sides. My personal fav though, is the Broccoli Casserole.

1 bag frozen broccoli, cooked
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg
1 can cream of muchroom soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 pack crushed Ritz crackers

Mix ingredients together and spread in greased casserole dish. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes.

mom-in-training said...

Wow - I am so excited to try all of these wonderful new recipes!!! Thank you so much, everyone, for sharing! This was fun. Maybe we'll have to do it again as Christmas approaches. And yes, Celeste, that is exactly how my Thanksgiving table will look, turkey and all... in my mind. Maybe when the kids are grown? :)