Friday, May 18, 2007

A Quiet Moment

As I sit here typing this in a darkened room with only light from the television and laptop to see by, Amy is snoring peacefully in my bed, snuggled close to her Kitty and one of Nathan's stuffed animals. It is 10:30pm, and I can still hear excited voices from the backyard. Bill, Alex and Nathan, along with Brian, Jacob, Nicole and Andrew, are all camping in one tent. It's a fairly large tent - fits 8-10 people, I believe. Though when you are talking about 5 children ages 6 and under, you might need to multiply the actual number when considering the total available space, at least for the playtime prior to sleep. :)

I wouldn't have thought I could see my boys any more excited than when they found out they were going to get to campout in the backyard tonight... until we told them they were going to get to do it with their friends (Nathan told me last night that Nicole is his best friend). I just love that they are getting to have these fun experiences and I love that Celeste and I have husbands who are willing to give them these types of experiences. Oh, the memories being made! In the meantime, I'm getting a little quiet time of my own. Could it get any better?

This whole event was actually just the icing on the cake when it comes to my day. I had an important meeting this morning related to homeschooling next year and I'm happy to say that it went very well. My mom had come to watch the kids and when I returned 3 hours later from my meeting, I learned that they'd been outside the entire time I was gone. And the kids still weren't ready to go in yet. I can't say that I blame them. The weather was just glorious today and it felt incredible to be outside. So, I threw aside all plans to work around the house and opted to hang outside with the kids - FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. We went in only briefly at one point, but returned outside soon after. We even ate dinner outside. Aside from the mosquitoes, it was a beautiful, amazing day. After a couple of stressful days with the kids, it was just the kind of day I needed.

And at this moment, as I glance into the backyard, I see only darkness. With the exception of Amy's soft snoring, there is only silence. I think some little people have finally reached their limit and are quietly whispering within the tent, or perhaps they are already slumbering peacefully. Either way, it looks like the guys have it under control. :)

Thank you, Lord, for this very special day - and night!!!

1 comment:

Celeste Creates said...

I am so happy for your happy day! Those kind of days serve to encourage us on the more difficult ones. Have another great one!

And thanks for letting everyone camp in your backyard and for feeding the troops this morning.