Monday, May 14, 2007

A Special Week

It has been almost a week since my dear husband's and sweet son's birthdays. It has been a long, fun-filled, crazy week. And though my intention had been to post a blog entry on each of their birthdays and then again following my son's party, I am just now getting an opportunity to sit at my computer and blog. So please excuse the long entry and many pictures. But so much has happened!

On May 9th we celebrated Bill's birthday. 10 years ago on his birthday, he took me out on our first real date to an expensive seafood restaurant. For many years after that we made a tradition out of going to that same restaurant for his birthday, just the two of us. But now there are 5 of us. And this year we went to a less expensive mexican food restaurant where they serve ice cream for dessert. Three little people were very happy and sticky upon completion of the birthday meal... actually, there were 5 happy, sticky people. :) We then went and bought Bill's birthday present together - a kayak. A man and his boat. What more could a man ask for?


Happy Birthday, Sweetheart!!!

The following day, May 10th, was Alex's birthday. His 5th birthday. I can't believe he's 5 already! I still remember bringing him home from the hospital. He was so tiny at 6lbs 3oz, and yet he had such an amazing head of hair... dark black hair - long, spiky, and sideburns even Elvis would have envied. What a cutie!


Bill took the day off and we kept Alex out of school to go to the zoo on this very special day. Everyone was a little tired after sharing in Daddy's big day, but we all had fun.





After our return home from the zoo, we went to Build-A-Bear at the mall. Nathan got to make a special friend on his birthday and we had promised Alex he'd get to when his birthday came around. So just as Alex had requested almost 6 months ago, he made a superhero bear and named him - what else - Bruce Wayne. Okay, I must confess. When asked for a name Alex said Batman. We suggested he give it a special name. I offered Batbear. Bill suggested Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne stuck. So here is Bruce Wayne the superhero Batbear... :)



We ate at the mall and then returned home to present to Alex his big gift from us. A new bike. And not just any bike. A Spiderman bike!


Happy Birthday, Big Boy!!!

And here is Amy at the mall after devouring one very large piece of pizza - too cute to leave out!

Finally the big day had arrived. Saturday we celebrated Alex's birthday with friends and family. Alex had been looking forward to this party for months. He had requested a "bad guy party". Well, needing something a little more specific, I suggested a pirate party. Alex loved the idea and I had something I could start planning for. Bill and I had fun with this one and I think the kids did, too!

The pirate ship I made Alex

The pirate ship Bill made Alex.





Last came Mother's Day. We got to celebrate my greatest calling in life. To me it is more a celebration of my children than it is about me being a mom. I am so grateful for these three little people who brighten my life and certainly keep it interesting. I feel so blessed to have been given these precious children to love and cherish.

My sister and her husband generously offered to host Mother's Day at their new lovely home. My sister played hostess to not only her family, but also her husband's. Thank you, Lisa, for the sacrifice you made on your own special day as a mother, to make the day special for all of us. We had such an enjoyable time, especially the kids, who are already looking forward to the next time they get to go swimming in your pool!



Even some of the "big kids" had a good time in the pool!

So that was our week. Busy, to say the least. But filled with love and lots of good memories.

4 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

Ok. The photo of Bill in mid-air has to be used for some kind of bribery! I love it. Loved the whole post!

The party and the cake were fabulous!

Mom of boys said...

So much fun!

Boy, Brennan also made a Batman Bear at Build-a-Bear for his 5th birthday, and named him Bruce Wayne. Brennan also received the same Spiderman bike for Christmas. Uncanny!

Melissa said...

Your week sounds like so much fun! What a happy, special time. Happy belated birthday to your two special guys, and Happy Mother's Day to you!

Crafty Mom said...

Looks like a good time was had by all, and how exhausted you must be. Heard you and Celeste sewed last night. Make sure you post your finished product if it is a success. I loved the quilt you made before, and I would really like to try the soft animal blankies you were making. Do you still have the pattern, so you could give me the company and pattern number?