Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More on Greyfriars Bobby - An Unlikely Discovery


Okay - I promise to post on more interesting topics soon, but...

Having never even heard of the story of Greyfriars Bobby, I thought it too funny that after finding the Walt Disney video about it and following up with a post (see below) to share with others about the wonderful movie, I happen upon this book by British author Richard Brassey last weekend. What's especially interesting is that I found it on the other side of town at a small used bookstore that Bill and I mistook for a Half-Price Books. We were looking for a place to eat lunch after attending a homeschool conference when we thought we spotted our favorite chain of bookstores across the highway. We had quite the difficult time getting to it - lots of turning around after missing the exit or ending up in the wrong shopping strip. But we finally made it there only to find it was not a Half-Price afterall. Bill almost drove away and I insisted that we check it out anyway. Not minutes into my searching of the Children's Picture Book section did I spot that Greyfriars Bobby book, and the sticker on the back tells me that it was originally bought at a souvenir shop in Scotland. What a coincidence that I should come across it. It's not really what I would call a great children's book... I wouldn't even call it a good children's book, though perhaps a fun read. It actually mentions the book written by American author Eleanor Atkinson and the Disney movie that was based on it - very negatively. But even so, it does shed some light on the true story and I'm still proud to have found it as an interesting addition to our collection.

1 comment:

Crafty Mom said...

You've got to love a good used book store. Congrats on the recent purchase.

We came home with Max's Chocolate Chicken by Rosemary Wells the other day, and lo and behold found it was autographed. Makes a good find even better.