Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Is it Week Three Already?

This morning Alex informed me that the way we are doing things is "driving him crazy". Where'd he get that phrase? Oh, yeah... Hmm... So anyway, he rambled off some explanation that made me realize he just doesn't like sitting at the table to do his book work. So I suggested we spread a blanket in the den and do our work in there. That worked well, although I do need to make a few changes to account for certain siblings who tend to distract a particular student. But at least he was more willing to do his workbook lessons. I also pulled out the big dry erase board and that worked great when discussing how to correctly write his letters. He loved writing on it! We also read our story on our blanket, and I do think Alex paid more attention in this setup. Nathan and Amy were a bit more energetic, but thankfully, they all love the story for this week, Lentil, and listened fairly well as we read. We may keep the blanket thing for this week and just see how it goes.



We also started our music appreciation today and had our first "Tea Party". This was definitely my favorite part of our day. I let the kids drink coffee (actually milk with a little coffee) while we ate cinnamon scones and listened to classical music. We were supposed to listen to music specifically by Beethoven. The library book I read to them called The Heroic Symphony was supposed to have an accompanying CD. But when I went to get the CD from the book, I found it to be missing. Oh, well. We still enjoyed the book and everyone enjoyed the cookies. Nathan especially enjoyed the coffee - he downed it in no time and was asking for more. Alex, however, decided he did not like coffee. I think next week, he'll be asking for milk. And notice... I actually let them use my breakable dishes! I'm still not brave enough to use the good China, but they seemed happy enough with my Pfaltzgraff. :)


2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good for you for changing things up a bit! It sounds like the blanket idea worked really well, and your kids sure look happy!

Your tea party sounds lovely, we had one today, too...and this is so ironic! My kids LOVE sips of my coffee, but I've never let them have a cup of their own--until today! I figured decaf couldn't hurt, and with equal parts of milk and chocolate raspberry creamer, it didn't even taste much like coffee. But they LOVED it! Our tea parties (when we have them) are always my favorite part of the day, too. I think we'll try keeping them as a regular Tuesday feature.

Thanks for sharing!

Celeste Creates said...

Great job dear friend! I am so glad the blanket thing seemed to work. Every child is different and that is the beauty of homeschooling. He does not have to be tied to a desk and chair to accomplish something.

The photos of the tea time are so adorable! They look so genuinely excited about the event! I am so glad you all enjoyed the time!